Is it Friday already? This week seriously just flew by! Love it when that happens! Here is this week’s Friday Five.
1. Last night for dinner I created my first Clean Eating meal from scratch without a recipe! My son had made a request earlier in the week for chicken, broccoli, and corn & peas. I guess all of my Clean Eating magazine recipes were just a little too creative for him (although he loved and ate them all) and he was craving some basic, comfort food. I didn’t want to just bake a plain old chicken breast, so I took a look in the fridge to see what I had on hand and just started cooking! In the end I made chicken stuffed with spinach and ricotta. I know this is not a brand new creation, but it’s the first time I’ve ever made it and I didn’t use a recipe. I just eyeballed everything and threw in whatever I thought would taste good – which in the end turned out to be green onions, garlic, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, and S&P. I think I did a pretty good job, if I do say so myself!
I didn’t have enough broccoli to feed all four of us, so I added some cauliflower too and roasted them in the oven. Man, roasted veggies are soooooo good! In the end, the dinner was a success and got a thumbs up from Jacko!
2. Club soda with lots of ice has become my new favourite cold drink (aside from Corona, of course!) A nice tall glass of club soda with ice and sometimes a little shot of Mio water enhancer has become my new 3pm treat at work. I don’t even miss Diet Coke anymore!
3. I did some scrapbooking today! I know this may not seem very exciting, or Friday Five worthy, but the fact that I actually scrapped a page today is a big deal. I am so far behind in my scrapping, it’s not even funny. Scrapping more was one of my big goals for last year and I failed miserably. It just seems that life is so busy, there just isn’t time to scrap…or if there is time, something always seems to come along and bump my scrap time. Today I left work early so I could take my son out for lunch after he wrote an exam. After lunch we came home and aside from writing this post and maybe squeezing in a workout (which isn’t going to happen today), I didn’t have anything to do. So, I poured myself an nice tall glass of club soda with ice and headed up to my office/scrap room. After spending a bit of time putting all the crap that seemed to collect on my desk away, I flipped through a few of my scrapbooks and found the pages that needed titles or finishing touches and planned out what I would do. In the end, I made the title page to one of our family albums. I hate making title pages, so most of the time skip them. There’s just too much pressure when making the title page and I’m really not all that creative so it takes me a long time to come up with ideas of what to do. Today I cheated a bit and hit Pinterest in search of title page ideas. I found one that I could scrap-lift and in the end I’m quite pleased with how it turned out. Simple, but nice. You can see the original that I copied from on my iPad in the background.
4. I need to start running again soon. The GoodLife Fitness Toronto Half Marathon is 99 days away! Aside from a few runs to get my legs ready for the Resolution Run on New Year’s Eve, I haven’t really run at all since the Niagara Half back in October. I’m going to try to run twice a week, just short runs, until the middle of February when I’ll start an actual training schedule. I’d really like to do a 10 week training schedule, but will probably end up with a 12 week schedule, since those are what I have on hand. I just find by the time the race gets here I’m getting a bit tired if running. Hopefully I will get to train with my sister again for a lot if the runs, because running by myself SUCKS. I think that is a big part if why I don’t really love running. I’m not very good at it and if I’m out there alone for lots of miles it’s really tough. When I run with my sister, it seems easier – which I’m guessing is due to the fact that we chat the whole time we are running. It makes the time go by faster…and that’s definitely a good thing when the mileage starts to creep up!
5. I am very curious about CrossFit. I’m reading more and more blog posts, and seeing more and more WOD pics on Pinterest that talk about CrossFit. It just sounds like such an amazing workout. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to do many of the exercise they do there, but it sounds like the encouragement you get from the coaches and other members is so helpful you can’t help but improve. This post from Lindsay from The Lean Green Bean makes it sound like the best place to workout and get stronger. There is a CrossFit in my town, and if I can squeeze it in, I might go check it out this weekend.
Happy Friday, everyone!
Do you do CrossFit? Is it really as great as they say it is?