Hey kids. Once again, it’s been a while. Oh well…I’ve come to accept my infrequent blogging as the way things will be around here.
Anyways, here are a few random things going on in my world lately.
1. I saw this video the other day. Can’t remember how I was directed to it, but it made me smile. The drummer in this band is having way too much fun.
As I was searching for the link to put into the post, I noticed that he actually has his own website and that he sort of “shot to fame” after this video went viral back in 2010. If you search YouTube for him, there are tons of other videos. The guy has some mad skills! He also has a website: http://www.maddrummerinc.com/mdhome.htm
2. I’ve signed up for a CrossFit Competition this Thursday! It is a partner competition at my friend Marina’s CrossFit and her coach, Alli, thought we would be good together. It is at the CrossFit that I am doing the Whole Life Challenge with. I haven’t actually met Alli in person yet, but have emailed and communicated with her through Facebook quite a bit the last 4 weeks, so it will be nice to meet her in person.
I’m not really looking forward to the first WOD, but the second one looks like it will be fun. I will let you know how it goes. Regardless of how we do, it should be a ton of fun.
3. I’ve finished my third book of 2014. I just finished Allegiant, the final book in the Divergent Series by Veronica Roth.
It was pretty good. I won’t spoil it, but I wasn’t happy with some of the way it ended, but overall, I enjoyed it. I’m now reading The Dinner, by Herman Koch.
I don’t know too much about this book other then it was on the top 50 list of Chapters Indigo for 2013, so figured I would give it a go. (I did not read the review that the book cover image is linked to, since the first line of that review said if you want to enjoy the book don’t read anything about it, just read the book) I’m not far enough into the book yet to decide if I like it, but it seems okay so far.
4. I’ve got a plan for my kipping pull-ups. Sadly, I did not hit my goal of 10 unbroken kipping pull-ups in January. I was a little disappointed about this, but not totally crushed. I figured I would just keep working away at them alone. Then, this month, my CrossFit instituted what they are calling Coaching Rosters. This is where everyone at the gym is assigned a “Super Coach” that will be checking in with us through email and when we see them at the gym and keeping us on track to meet our CrossFit goals that we set for 2014.
My Super Coach is Katrina and we are Team Super Girl. Katrina has already checked in with me a couple of times. She asked if I had reached my 10 pull-up goal. I told her I hadn’t and asked if she had any tips. Today, she wrote back with 3 things I can work on to get my 10. Katrina said next time I did pull-ups I should pay attention to where I fail and then work on what’s needed.
1. Is it my grip? Improve my grip strength: do “bar hangs” every other day, trying to increase the length of time I can hang from the bar each day.
2. Is it my shoulder strength/stability? Use the crossover bands to strengthen the accessory muscles of the shoulder.
3. Is it core? Increase core strength by doing hollow body rocks “every damn day” 3 sets of 20.
I’m pretty sure I could use improvement on all 3 of the items above, so I plan to work on all the exercises she suggested. Hopefully if I work on these I will get my 10 unbroken pull-ups by the end of February. Fingers crossed!
There are other things that the Super Coach teams will be doing…but I’ll get into that in another post.
Now, I’m going to finish watching The Following from last night, and then head downstairs to work on my pull-up exercises before heading up to bed. Before I go to sleep I need to mediate for 10 minutes and then I hope to read for a bit before finally going to sleep.
So much to do…so little time!
Happy Tuesday! Hope it was totally random!