Well, this post was originally planned for Friday, and then Friday came and went, life got busy and the post didn’t happen. So, welcome to the first ever, Sunday Seven!
NOTE: even the Sunday Seven was delayed due to a power outage last night. Power went out about 9:30pm and didn’t come back on until 5:30 this morning!
1. I had a few more great WODs last week. After hating my off day last week, I was very happy to get back to CrossFit on Wednesday with this WOD.
I have to admit, those snatches were not my favourite things. I actually like to snatch…but when you add the squat in there too, it gets into my head. Coach Justin kept telling me to get out of my head and just lift. Eventually I got better, but still have a long ways to go with this lift. The actual WOD was good. I used 115# for the deadlifts, did the 20’ box jumps and used a black band for the ring dips. I was the last one done…again…but it was 11 minutes and 12 seconds of awesome.
Friday’s WOD was the Baseline WOD.
This was the very first thing I ever did at CrossFit. You can read about that very first CrossFit workout here. I was excited to do this WOD again so I could see how much I have improved since I started CrossFit. The first time I did this WOD, I used the thickest band for the pull-ups and did the push-ups with a hand-release. It took me 9:23. On Friday, I did the push-ups using the thin black band on the rack so I could do them with proper CrossFit form and not need to do hand-release. I can do a few perfect CrossFit push-ups, but still can’t crank out 20 in a row yet, so Coach Ryan suggested I used the band. I was super excited that I was able to do the pull-ups Rx. They weren’t all pretty, since we did push press strength work before the MetCon WOD and my shoulders were tired, but I did them! I was last, again, but I did it in 7:08! That’s 2 minutes and 15 seconds better than my initial test. Yeah baby! I friggin’ love CrossFit!
2. I found a great app to track/log my CrossFit workouts. I follow the Paleo Parents website and blog, and Stacy, the Paleo Parents Mom also does CrossFit and Strong Woman training. In a recent post she showed her deadlift progress. I asked her what app it was, and she told me it was called MyWOD. So…I am not the proud owner of MyWOD too!
I spent quite a few hours this past week and weekend entering all of my WODs into it. I now have a quick reference for every lift and WOD I’ve done since starting CrossFit. Each WOD is recorded, and you can add in your strength work as well. For each lift, you can track your progress over time. My jerk has come a long way. I can’t wait until I can throw 100lbs over my head!
There is also a feature where you can search for specific WODs and see previous scores. Tomorrow we are doing Barbara. A quick search and I can see that I last did Barbara back on April 1st.
It looks like there was a max of 35 minutes and I didn’t quite finish. My goal tomorrow is to get this bitch DONE!
3. We’ve started playing ping pong for chores! A few years ago – maybe even 5 or 6 – hubs and I got the kids a ping pong table for Christmas. They liked it and played a bit, but they may have been a bit little for it. Well, this past week, the table was dusted off, moved to a better spot in the basement, had some special lighting put up and stadium seating put in (not really, but sort of – we have IKEA chairs sitting on the wooden base of a futon!), and we’ve been playing ping pong like mad around here. What fun! The kids are playing to see who does little chores around the house. Who clears the table, who unloads the dishwasher, who goes to get the mail…little things like that. They are having a good time, and little tasks are getting done without me having to do them. It’s brilliant! Here’s a little clip from our Friday night ping pong fun.
4. Toronto made the opening skit of SNL last night. As I’m sure you have heard by now, Toronto’s Mayor, Rob Ford, has been making headlines for the last little while….and all for the wrong reasons. Turns out he has a few problems…like with alcohol and crack, and saying things – so many things – he shouldn’t. He has been the topic of so many late night talk show monologues these last few weeks, and last night he made the big time. Saturday Night Live opened with a Rob Ford skit. It was awesome.
5. I’ve been enjoying pomegranate as a snack this week. I really like pomegranate, but it is such a pain in the ass to get the seeds out to eat. That is, it was a pain in the ass, until I discovered this YouTube video. All you need is a small knife, a bowl, and a wooden spoon.
You may have doubts, but trust me, I’ve done it 4 times this week…it works!
6. We went to the Raptor’s game today. Hubs won awesome tickets through a United Way campaign at his office. We were in the corner, in the 5th row. Not too bad. I sure wouldn’t have paid the $137 face price per ticket for them, but we were quite happy to win them! We aren’t really basketball people, but it was fun to go to the game. These guys are HUGE! I tried to take some pictures of them, but we weren’t quite close enough for them to turn out that well. Here are a few anyways!
That last one is of the Raptor mascot Stripes climbing up the railing beside us to say hi to Jack! Jacko was lucky enough to catch a t-shirt that the Raptor’s dancers tossed into the crowd during one of the breaks in the game.
The game was tied at the end of regulation, but they couldn’t quite keep up during overtime, and ended up losing 118-110. Despite the loss, we had a fun afternoon at the game.
7. I’m writing this blog by candlelight. It is now about 10:45pm Sunday night, and a little over an hour ago, the power went out. At first it just went out for a minute, then came back on. Then it went out for good. We lit all the candles we could find so it’s not pitch black in the house, and I’ve continued to type away.
Hubs and the kids went out for a drive to see how extensive the black out is. Seems like the whole town is out. While they were on their drive, the radio said that all of Newmarket, Aurora, Bradford and Keswick are all without power. That’s quite a big area. Hopefully it comes back soon so I can get onto the internet and post this blog! Here’s a pic hubs took of me writing this post. He tried to frame it so you could see all the candles. Please ignore the disaster you see in my kitchen behind me!
There it is…the post that was late, and got even later thanks to the power outage!
Do you have an app to track your workouts? Which one do you use?
Here’s looking forward to a good week ahead.