Let’s get right to it!
1. I need to get back to regular blogging. It’s been over a week since my last post. And before that I wasn’t posting anything regularly either. I’m finding that by the end of the day I just don’t have it in me to write a blog post. By the time I get to sit on the couch and relax it is usually about 10pm at night and I’ve had a full day of work, made dinner, done some stuff around the house and gone to my 8:30pm CrossFit class. I just don’t have anything left in the tank by the time I hit the couch. I need to find a way that writing a post can be quick and dirty but still be interesting.
I’m starting to think I should start writing more posts on my lunch break at work. Most days I bring my lunch to work so I could write while I eat. I will give that a try and see how it goes.
2. I’m 1 week into this round of the Whole Life Challenge. So far, things are going really well. I lost a couple of points last weekend for not squeezing in a workout while away at my kids’ hockey tournament, but other than that, all has been good. I’ve even earned those 2 points back by posting my scores and reflecting each day. I’m enjoying being back on the challenge and really focussing on my eating again. I got a bit lax and could feel it. After only a week, I am noticing changes all ready. I’m down 4 pounds (back to my post-challenge weight last time), I’m sleeping like a champ, and I’m eating really good food.
I’ve been meal planning and making sure I’ve got everything I need to stay on track. One thing I need to do is find some better snacks. This weekend I’m going to try to make a few treats that I enjoyed last time: No bake coconut brownies, pumpkin chia pudding, almond butter banana cookies and Chookies Cookies.
3. Although I haven’t been writing about it, I’ve been hitting CrossFit 3 times a week faithfully. I am still totally loving CrossFit. I’m coming up to a year and I can’t wait to keep going for another year and beyond. Currently I’m going 3 times a week. When I renew (i think in March), I am going to bump that up to 4 times a week. I’m not sure I can get there 4 times every week, but the difference in cost is only $10 a month, so even if I make it only 1 extra time, I’m coming out even. I’ve set all sorts of goals for 2014 with respect to CrossFit and I can’t wait to get to them: 10 unbroken kipping pull-ups, 20 RX push-ups, RX Fran, Hand Stand Push Ups, and 1 dead hang pull-up. I’d also like to start working towards a muscle up. (see here for my post outlining them all),
4. We’ve been drinking quite a few green smoothies. The Vitamix has been blending almost daily. With a base of spinach, kale or chard, and carrots we add a variety of fruit and create some tasty, nutritious drinks. We are enjoying quite a few colours in our smoothies….green, pink, red, orange…and my least favourite so far, brown, that I refer to as the “dirt smoothie”.
The “dirt smoothie” was not that good. I tried to drink it, but just couldn’t choke it down and ended up dumping it down the drain. I’m not sure what gave it the dirt flavour…maybe too much chard, or too much lemon juice, but really did kind of taste like dirt..or what I would imagine dirt to taste like. Hubs is enjoying making them each morning and it’s an easy way to get a couple of servings of fruit and vegetables in.
5. Pull-up progress update. As you saw above, one of my goals for CrossFit is 10 kipping pull-ups in a row. I was at 3 for a long time, and then earlier this month got to 5 and that’s where I stand today. Today’s WOD was a combination of hang power snatches, hang squat snatches and then some touch ‘n go power snatches. I’m slowly improving on my snatch…especially the squat snatch. Every class I seem to pick up another tip to help pull it all together. Anyways, back to the pull-ups. After class I stayed for an extra 15 minutes or so and worked on my pull-ups. I started with a few sets of 3, then worked my way up to 5. I was chatting with a fellow class member and she said that I’m looking solid. Another coach-in-training was also there and I asked him how I can string more together…was there something I could do to get past 5. He said one way was just volume…keep practicing. He also said I should some other drills to my practice sessions beyond doing multiple sets of kipping pull-ups..
The first was to do eccentric,or negative, pull-ups. This is where you start at the top of the pull-up and lower yourself as slowly as you can.
We have done this in WODs before and I have never been able to hold myself up and always just drop down quickly. Today I gave it a try and I did it! I jumped up to get my chin over the bar and then took 10 seconds to lower myself down. I was so happy with that.
When I could do the eccentric pull-up for the 10 seconds, Coach said I could probably even get a dead hang soon. He showed me how to use my hollow body position to help tighten things up and make it easier to pull up. I gave it a try, but could not pull myself up at all. That’s okay…I will just keep practicing and one day it will click.
I am still trying to get 10 kipping pull-ups in a row by the end of January. I’ve got 2 weeks left to practice and hopefully hit my goal. Wish me luck!
In other news…tomorrow I’m going to a fellow Corona Crusher’s baby shower. This will be a bit of a test of my will power as I can’t drink, or have sugar, or wheat…which means no Corona, no treats, and no cake. Hopefully there will be a veggie tray so I can at least have a few nibbles. Despite this, I am really looking forward to this shower. Crushers and other friends I haven’t seen for a while will be there, so it will be nice to catch up and I’m sure a good time will be had by all.
Do you have any tips on how to make blogging easier?
Have you got any good sugar free, wheat free snack recipes you can share?
Have you ever had a dirt smoothie? LOL
Happy Friday, everyone.
Enjoy the weekend!