For a short week, this week seemed to go on forever! TGIF! Time for a Friday Five!
1. I am 100% on the Toronto Blue Jays bandwagon! I will admit, for the most part, I am not a big baseball fan. I watched the Jays back in their glory days when they won back to back world series in ’92 and ’93, but haven’t kept up much since then. That is until recently. These guys are on fire and since I started watching more in September, I can’t get enough of them. And then Wednesday night happened. HOLY COW! That was the most exciting baseball game I have ever seen. It had everything…for an excellent and humorous summary of the game check out this article from NBC Sports. Jose Bautista ROCKS!
I will be glued to my TV tonight at 8:07 for Game 1 of the ALCS vs Kansas City Royals. Let’s go, Blue Jays!!! #cometogether
2. I am doing horribly with my plank challenge. It pretty much isn’t happening. I lasted maybe 5 days and then haven’t done it since 😦 not good, but oh well. I know I really should work on this skill, since I suck at it, and getting a stronger core would help me in the gym, but I just can’t seem to bring myself to do it daily. I thought maybe a plank challenge would get me to do it, but apparently it wasn’t the right motivation and didn’t have enough accountability for me to stick with it.
3. I am doing amazing with my mobility challenge! I signed up for the 5 day a week version of the monthly member challenge at my CrossFit gym. We are 2 weeks in and I have met my goal for both weeks. This challenge differs from the plank one in that there is a google doc that we go in and fill in each day when we complete our 20 minutes of mobility. This seems to be enough accountability to keep me going. Plus, stretching and mobility feel so good that I don’t mind doing it. I’ve even brought a lacrosse ball to work and roll my feet while I work. I’m actually rolling as I type this post!
4. I’m creeping slowly towards my goal of 30 books read in 2015. I’ve finished 24 books, so only 6 left. I’ve read some good ones…see here for the full list.
5. I had a rough class at CrossFit. I went to the 4:30 class and all was good. We worked on Power Snatch for strength and they felt good. Coach said I had good bar path and the lifts felt good. The MetCon was 2 separate EMOMs:
I used 55# for the snatches and they felt good. Really worked on keeping a nice straight bar path. Still lots of room for improvement, but was pretty happy with them today. For the second EMOM I did 5 pull-ups a round, since I still can’t link together more than 3 at a time and my coach wanted me to still get a bit of rest each round. They were feeling pretty good and then on the 4th set of pull-ups, this happened:
OUCH! When it happened I could tell it was a bad one. It is deep and it bled quite a bit. That was the end of my pull-ups, so I just did air squats for the last round. Let me tell you, washing it up after class stung like a mofo! I’ve loaded it up with antibiotic ointment and covered it with a big band-aid, but I can still feel it. Hopefully it heals up quickly, but I’m pretty sure Toes To Bar in tomorrow’s WOD won’t be happening for me. I will give it a shot, but I’m thinking candlesticks might be in my future instead. The rest of tomorrow’s WOD shouldn’t bother it – back squats for strength and then row, burpees and double-unders for the MetCon. Time will tell 🙂
I’m off to watch the Jays kick Kansas City’s ass. Go Jays, Go!
Happy weekend, everyone!