Despite wanting to post more often, I seem to be sticking to my once a month updates 😦 Life is just too busy. 🙂
Let’s get right to it.
1. Golf has started! I love golf. I am horrible, but I love it! I may be horrible at it, but I’m actually much better than I was when I first started back into it a few years ago. My handicap now sits at 27.7 (much improved over 33.3 that it used to be!) and my goal for the year is to get it to 25.0. I’ve whittled a few strokes off my handicap every year. Hopefully I’ve got a few more good shots in me to drop it to my goal. We played a scramble format this week, so I didn’t keep my own score, but I had a number of good shots, made some nice chips onto the green, and my putting wasn’t too bad at all. I’m looking forward to getting out there once a week and chasing the ball around the course.
2. Ball hockey has started! I miss my skates. There is no coasting in ball hockey. If you don’t run, you don’t move! It was nice to see all the girls again. Most of them I don’t see over the winter, so there was a lot of catching up going on in the dressing room. We seem to remember how to play, and we won our first game 2-0. We had the 10pm game, so there was no parking lot tailgate action this week, but I’m sure once we get rolling, parking lot Beves and Coronas will be happening!
3. My back is still not 100% but is slowly getting better. I’ve been seeing my physio guy twice a week up until this week, as I’ve graduated to once a week treatments. I’ve been doing my exercises and it feels pretty good. Once in a while something will tweak it and I’m reminded not to push it. I was worried about ball hockey since running doesn’t feel the best, but for the most part it was okay. I just kept my shifts really short and if it started to hurt, I went off. I’ve modified most WODs at the gym and hopefully soon I can start lifting heavier again.
4. I’m doing the Whole Life Challenge….again! I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve done the WLC. This time, it’s a little different. My CrossFit is calling it the WLC+ and they have designed eating plans for us based on our workout frequency, body weight, and goals. It is a macro based plan, with assigned requirements for grams of protein, carbs, and fats per day. They are teaching us about fueling for WODs and eating for recovery. It is all very interesting. Based on this, I have to eat MUCH more than I usually do…which is fun, and challenging. So far, I have yet to hit my macro targets for grams. I’ve come close once, but most days I am way under. I am working on gradually increasing my intake to meet my targets. Hopefully by next week I will be there. I am diligently tracking my food on My Fitness Pal and constantly searching for high carb/high protein/low-fat food. Since I’m focusing more on the macro part of this, I am only doing the Kick Start level for WLC which is not nearly as restrictive as the other levels, so I can still eat rice, corn, and sugar in some prepared foods. It’s pretty much no bread/flour/pasta, no sugar in baked goods/coffee/candy – no chai lattes for me 😦 , no beer, no pop (regular or diet) and no junk food. I’m okay with that, and I’m looking forward to the next 8 weeks to see how my workouts and body improve.
5. I’m on vacation! As of tomorrow afternoon, you will find me on the beach in Cayo Coco, Cuba at the Iberostar Mojito! We are off for a week of fun in the sun with some friends of ours. It should be a fun time. The kids are all so excited – there are 5 of them between the two families so they should have no problem entertaining themselves! I’m pretty sure I will lose all my WLC nutrition points, but I’m still going to try to hit my macros while I’m there. I’m not going to beat myself up when things go off the rails..I’m on vacation!!! I’m looking forward to the heat (although it is finally nice here in Toronto), the beach, the cold beer and the Mojitos! So, don’t expect a blog post next week…but I will likely be updating my Instagram account, so feel free to follow along there!
See you in a week!!!