1. CrossFit has been kicking my ass this week. After last Saturday’s wicked workout, my arms hurt until Wednesday! Then, just because they didn’t kill anymore, we did another WOD with kettlebells Wednesday night to fire them up again! And just in case that wasn’t enough, here’s what today’s WOD looks like:
Before the metcon we do some ring dips and pull-ups which should get my arms nice and tired before we even get to the KB swings and push-ups! My friend Pam already did the WOD this morning and said it was rough…I can’t wait!
2. I’m in a fun golf tournament tomorrow! This will be our second time playing in this annual fundraiser tournament. There are 6 of us playing again, and it should be a fun day on the course. This is a very casual golf event, with lots of Corona being consumed and we rock out around the course with our Bose blasting out tunes in our cart. I can’t wait!
3. I’m a Matchmaker! In Sept 2012, I went to the Magna Hoe Down with a group of friends. One of the gals in the group was single, so we were keeping an eye out for good looking men to introduce her to. Well, I had a few drinks and went on a mission, cruising the tent for a hunky gentleman to introduce to my friend. Now, the Hoe Down has a very big country theme to it. There are more cowboy boots and plaid at this event than should be allowed in one room! That being said, I did find a cute guy wearing a Roots sweatshirt, and after telling him he was very inappropriately dressed for the evening, I proceeded to drag him across the tent to meet my friend. (apparently his girlfriend trailed along…i didn’t pay much attention to her!). When I get said young man to my friend, imagine my surprise to find that they actually already know each other! I won’t get into the details of that…but suffice it to say, the girlfriend didn’t last long and I am very happy to say that today they are getting married! Happy wedding day, Nadine and Scott…can’t wait to celebrate with you later tonight!
4. The Whole Life Challenge is almost over! And thank God for that. I am not enjoying the challenge as much this time. Well, that’s not entirely true. I love being accountable for exercising and stretching and I’ve even enjoyed the lifestyle challenges for the most part. The one thing I’m not enjoying is the restrictions on what I can eat. I know what good food choices are, and I would say I eat clean/healthy/paleo meals 90% of the time. Most of what is on the WLC “do no eat” list are things I rarely eat anyways, but for some reason, I’m not liking them telling me I can’t eat them. i stuck to the challenge food guidelines pretty well, with the exception of some major events that I had going on and I knew going in I would lose all food points on those days. But for the last week, I have been breaking rules all over the place and I just don’t care. I am still eating healthy (see more in #5 below), but enjoying the odd piece of cheese or slice of bread. It’s been great!
5. My CrossFit is doing a 6 week Zone Diet challenge. This is part of the reason why I’m not so into the WLC anymore…I’ve joined the 6 week Zone Diet challenge at my gym. The zone diet is a way of thinking that has you eat protein, carbs and fats at every meal and snack. Based on your body composition, you get so many “blocks” of each. The majority of your protein should be lean cuts, your carbohydrates low glycemic, and your fats should be high in Omega-3/low in Omega-6.
This is supposed to help reduce inflammation in the body and help improve performance. I started following this approach to eating on Monday and I’m feeling pretty good. I’ve had a few events (office lunch, golf banquet, the wedding tonight, the golf tourney tomorrow) that will make my first week in the Zone less than perfect, but I’m okay with that. That’s life, right! Next week should be better as there isn’t as much going on.
Now, i just got home from CrossFit and I am exhausted. There was so much arm stuff this week, it is all I can do to lift my arms to my keyboard and type. I actually cancelled my class for tomorrow morning at 9:30. I figure between being sore from today, probably having a late-ish night tonight with the wedding, and playing golf tomorrow afternoon, my body could probably use a sleep in and some extra rest.
What’s on your plate for the weekend?