Welcome to the weekend, everyone! WOHOO!!! Here are this week’s Friday Five.
1. It’s kind of sad how happy Friday’s make me! Work has been an absolute zoo for me for so long, I actually don’t remember when it wasn’t crazy. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job. I work on interesting projects all day and have wonderful clients to deal with. But let me tell you, by the time Friday gets here I am so happy to know that for 2 days I don’t have to think about document edits, report writing, field management, or anything relating to my work life. After work tonight I can’t wait to build a fire, curl up on the couch, and maybe watch a movie or catch up on some shows on PVR. I think the Cure said it best:
2. It is Day 5 of Mamavation’s 2 week Workout Challenge with Bob Harper. Today’s workout is called “The Fighter: Boxing-Inspired Cardio”. When I got home from work I really didn’t feel like working out. I really wanted to have a nap. But, I did the right thing and changed into my workout gear and got my program all set up. Once again, the cat was quite helpful. Tonight he obviously thought that the pages of the program were tormenting him, so he needed to show them who was the boss and shred my pages.
With the help of my assistant, I made my way through the program. There were no weights involved today, just a lot of kickboxing moves that got my blood pumping and the sweat flowing. Despite not really wanting to do the workout, I was glad that I did. Now I can sit of the couch tonight and watch TV totally guilt free. At some point I need to sneak in 30 burpees for the evil Halloween treats I ate today. I wish my kids would just eat them and they can be gone. I’ve been pretty good, but I can only walk by without reaching into the goody bowl so many times.
3. So far I am doing well sticking to my November goals. I am quite aware that November is only 2 days old at this point, but it’s important to get off to a good start. Today for breakfast I had oatmeal with flax seed and a squirt of honey…nice and clean. I brought lunch to work today and enjoyed some clean leftovers of apple ginger butternut squash and 1/2 pork chop. I’m looking forward to breakfasts on the weekend when I have a bit more time and can make an oatmeal pancake or maybe try one of Bob’s good looking breakfast recipes.
4. I tried a new recipe tonight: Dark Chocolate Date Bars. This is a recipe that Alex, over at Wholesome Living, created. What caught my eye about this recipe was that I actually had all of the ingredients needed in my house. I’ve been wanting to make them for a while, but didn’t get a chance until earlier tonight. I got out my food processor and started working my way through the recipe. All was going well until I needed to chop the dates in the food processor. My food processor is a tiny little one and I hate it. Using it tonight just reminded me how much I hate it. It’s too small to really be useful and it is almost impossible to get the blade our to get the bowl off the machine. Anyways, I throw my cup and a half of dates into the processor and soon hear some crazy knocking sound. I’ve never used dates in a recipe before…turns out they have pits in them! After digging out all the pits, things went a bit smoother. I was eventually able to get everything into the processor bowl and tried to blend it all up. This didn’t work too well since the processor wasn’t really strong enough to blend all the stuff. I eventually wrestled with it enough and got the dough out of the bowl, but not before I cut my finger trying to get the blade out. Did I mention how much I hater this food processor? After a few choice words with my food processor, the bars were ready to hit the fridge to chill for an hour or so.
I just did a taste test…and OH. MY. GOD!!! These things are AMAZING! Chocolately, chewy, deliciousness. I will definitely be making these again. Guess I need to get a new food processor before then! I’ve got a ton of Sears point that I can cash in. Maybe I should go over and see what they’ve got in the way of food processors this weekend.
5. Other than a few kid’s hockey games, I have nothing to do this weekend….and I can’t wait to do it! After a month or so of fairly busy weekends, I am looking forward to not doing much of anything this weekend. We may even do something crazy and go out for dinner without the kids! Insanity, I know! And one more bonus for this weekend…we get an extra hour of sleep Saturday night when the clocks turn back. You have no idea how excited I am about that. Sleep is something that I never seem to get enough. Hockey times are decent (10am Saturday and 11am Sunday) so there is good potential for 2 fantastic sleep-ins in a row! Unheard of. Hopefully I will be able to sleep. I don’t seem to be able to sleep in like I used to when I was younger, but I’m going to give it my best shot!
Over the weekend I will also be checking my Trainer Bob program to see what’s on the schedule for the weekend. I think one day I will get a rest day and the other day there will be another “live” video to follow along with. I’m actually looking forward to see what Bob has in store for us. Each workout has been different, challenging, quick and fun. Hopefully this next video will be all of those things as well. I’ll let you know.
Now, it’s time for me put on my comfies and curl up in front of the fire.
What’s on the schedule for your weekend?
Whatever you do, have a good one!