I started writing this post on Friday, but didn’t quite get it finished, so here’s my Friday/Monday Five!
Wow! It’s April already…how did that happen? Time is just flying by. Once again, it’s been a while since I posted, so let’s get caught up with a Friday Five.
- We had another great March Break at Okemo! This was our 9th year going skiing for March Break and the 9th year we have had a fantastic time. The snow was not the best this year. In fact, if you just judged by the snow seen from the tow, you might doubt we would be able to ski:
The snowmakers at Okemo are always winning awards, and they were really kept busy this winter with the lack of snow in the East. The only snow in the whole area was on the runs!
The snow was not the best, but we still managed to have fun on the slopes. We also had a good time with our aprés ski time! I ate way too much cheese and drank too much beer, but that’s what vacations are for, right?
- We extended our March Break with a trip to Cuba! Last year we went to Cuba with some friends and had such a good time we decided to do it again, and expand the group to include 2 more families. This year, we were a group of 19 and we had an awesome week of fun in the sun.
We enjoyed lots of time on the beach, by the pool, had a few long walks on the beach, and we all experienced our first foam party! It was pretty fun!
We also chartered a 45 foot boat for a day and did some deep sea fishing, explored a “virgin beach”, had a great lunch on the boat, did some snorkeling…and we even caught a few fish. My son Jackson caught the biggest fish of the day. He was thrilled!
- I had to do 16.5 in Cuba! We were going to be in Cuba the whole time that 16.5 was “open”. I checked the announcement on Thursday night – was less than thrilled to see if was 14.5 again, since that workout SUCKED HUGE!! See here for that recap. After the announcement, I checked out the resort gym o Friday morning to see if they had what I would need for the workout. Thankfully, they had barbells, so I was set. I would be able to do the workout – yay! Ugh! I decided to do the workout Saturday morning. I didn’t drink Friday, since I was pretty sure 16.5 was going to suck enough all on it’s own that being hungover would be a bad idea.I stressed a bit about the workout on Friday, trying to decide between RX and scaled. In 14.5 they didn’t have a scaled option, so I had to do RX. Saturday morning, I rowed for a few minutes and did some stretching, and then started warming up my thrusters. The gym was hot and the bar felt heavy after 2 weeks away from the gym. Plus I was on vacation, so I cut myself some slack and decided to go scaled. In the end, scaled was still a hell of a workout. I was a soggy mess by the end, but I was proud of myself for doing it…and enjoyed many cocktails on the beach that afternoon! Note my very official scorecard!
- I’m going to strength foundations classes. Hockey season is over and my Thursday night’s are open, so I’m going to start going to Strength Foundations. This class at my CrossFit that focuses on the three powerlifing lifts. It is run by Coach Andrew. He’s an elite powerlifter who has won Provincial Championships, and for a relatively small guy, can lift a shit ton of weight. In the strength foundations class, Andrew helps “fix” our back squat, bench press, and deadlift. I’m super pumped to be able to finally be able to go to this class. I haven’t been doing heavy deadlifts a almost 2 years since I tweaked my back in 14.3 and the deadlift ladder. I’m hoping that Andrew can help me fix my form and get me back to lifting without pain.I went to my first class last Thursday and Andrew assessed each lift and gave me a few things to work on for each lift. This week he will create a program for me now that he’s seen where I’m starting from. I’m super pumped to get strong!
- I rode a bull! Saturday night a bunch of CrossFit ladies went out to a bar in downtown Toronto to celebrate Coach Michelle’s birthday. We started with a pre-party at Michelle’s house to get things started – isn’t this a great looking group of strong women!
Party organizer Coach Katrina had arranged for a limo bus to take us to and from the bar – pretty sweet ride, eh?
Everyone brought a few “travellers” on the bus and we were off to the Rock ‘N Horse Saloon. I’d never been there before – no real surprise since I couldn’t tell you the last time that I went out to a club or bar. I was glad we went here since it meant I could wear jeans, a plaid shirt, and cowboy boots and not have to worry about buying a “club” outfit! Everyone grabbed a drink from the bar, then a few of us tackled the bull. This is not the best picture, but it’s me on the bull, holding on for dear life!
Once everyone had their turn on the bull, it was time to dance…and dance we did! We danced until we got dragged off the dance floor and back onto the bus to head home. It was a much less active ride home as the drinks and dancing took their toll on quite a few! I won’t mention any names, but more than a few ladies “napped” on the drive home. Everyone had a great time and agreed we needed to do it again sometime. I can’t wait!
Now I’m home from the gym and looking forward to getting to bed. It takes me a little longer to recover from those late nights now!
How has April been treating you so far?
We got 6 inches of snow last night. Mother Nature needs to get her shit together. It’s April showers, not April snow!