Happy Friday! Another week down, and February is almost over! Time is flying by.
This week’s Friday Five will all relate to the first WOD of the CrossFit Open.
1. Workout 15.1 was announced last night. I was playing hockey last night when the workout was announced. (We won! YAY!) As soon as I got off the ice, I got on my phone and searched for the announcement. Here’s what I found:
2. At first, I didn’t think it looked that bad. I can do all of those movements, not all well, but I can do them. The biggest issue for me with this WOD is the 75# snatch. I think the heaviest snatch I’ve done so far is only 65#. At least that’s what it shows in my MyWOD app:
I may have gotten a bit higher than that (maybe 5#) since October…I will have to go back and check my WOD book I keep in my gym bag. So, that 75# snatch makes me question my ability to do the RX version of the WOD.
3. The scaled WOD looks very doable! The scaled WOD has a lighter snatch and ground to overhead is allowed, which makes it much more friendly. Plus, I’m way better and knee raises than I am at toes to bar!
4. My gym is doing the Open Throw Down again this year. Between 6:30 and 8:30 everyone (or at least all the cool kids!) will be at the box to do 15.1. We sign up for heats, get ourselves warmed up and when it’s time…we THROW DOWN! People not in your heat cheer and it’s a great atmosphere. Initially I was going to go to my regular 4:30 class and do 15.1 then, but I decided it would be more fun to do it with the group in the Throw Down, so switched my time.
5. It’s now around 2 o’clock and I have a 4.5 hours to decide what level I will do – RX or scaled. Right now I’m leaning scaled. I will have a chat with my coaches and see what they say. I’m not going to the games, so I don’t really need to kill myself with the RX version. I’m pretty sure scaled will still leave me in a sweaty mess when I’m done!
Now I’m off to have some lunch and then spend the rest of my afternoon trying to stay calm!
Are you doing 15.1? RX? Scaled? Let me know how it goes!
Happy Monday, peeps!
So, if you are into CrossFit, you know that it’s Open Season.
The CrossFit Open is a 5 week series of WODs that everyone at every level completes and gets ranked against everyone in the world. To think that I will be doing the same WOD as Camille Leblanc-Bazinet (the winner of last year’s CrossFit Games) is awesome and terrifying at the same time. Camille is a 26 year old CrossFit Pro. I’m a 47 year old, mom of two, CrossFit wanna-be!
I have no chance of beating Camille. I know that. Everyone at my gym knows that. But you know what? That’s okay! It’s not about beating anyone. It’s about pushing myself as hard as I can and just competing with myself. Just doing the best that I can. And that…that’s why I love CrossFit.
The first Open workout gets announced on Thursday. I can’t wait to see what it is!
Are you doing the Open?
Got a prediction for 15.1?
This week’s little bit of motivation is a little too close to home for me.
If this is true, I should be one strong chick this week.
Last week was a rough one for me at CrossFit and I had more pain that I really needed. First, I messed up my wrist on Wednesday:
No idea what I did, but holy cow did it hurt. I had an acupunture treatment on it Thursday, rested it over the weekend, and It’s much better today. I’m hoping I will be able to do tonight’s WOD (Elizabeth, 21-15-9 squat snatch, ring dips) without any modifications other than scaling the weight and using a band for my ring dips, which I always do. I will play it by ear and see how it feels. If it hurts, I will ask my coach what else I can do.
Friday, after modifying the WOD to skip the push press – doing hollow rocks instead (since I didn’t want to use my wrist that much), I ended up hurting my right foot getting off the air dyne. The WOD was 50-40-30-20-10 push press and calories on the air dyne. I did the hollow rocks and holy crap…they killed! I was just finished the 30 cals on the air dyne and was getting off when I got my foot jammed between the pedal and the bike. I didn’t wait for the pedal to stop turning and missed the middle bar as I stepped off and crunch….what an awful feeling! I could feel so many bones cracking and crunching. OUCH! Coach Sav said maybe this was a good place to stop and she got me some ice. I lay with my foot up on some ab mats for a few minutes and once the pain subsided I gimped my way out of the gym. Once I got home it was ice and elevation again:
Luckily I was taking Saturday off from the gym since my son had a hockey tournament and I couldn’t make it to class. Aside from some pretty decent bruising on the inside of my foot my the ankle/arch, the top by my toes, and the outside below the ankle it is feeling pretty good. I’ve been putting Traumeel on it regularly and I think that helped. I’m almost limp free.
My goal for tonight is to get out of the gym without any more injuries!
Wish me luck!
How’s Monday treating you so far?
It’s been a while since I’ve posted a Friday Five. Let’s see if I remember how to do this! :)
1. I’m still reading. I got back into regular reading last year and really liked it, so I’m trying to keep it up in 2015. My goal is to read 30 books this year. I’m moving towards that nicely, with 7 books already read to date. To see what they are…click here. I’m currently reading The Little Old Lady Who Broke All The Rules, by Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg. It’s about a group of retirees living in a retirement home who are less than thrilled with their living conditions so decide to get themselves thrown in jail where they think life will be better. I’m about half way through and it’s not great, but not bad. 2. I’ve done something to my wrist. I’m not sure how, or what exactly is wrong, but holy crap did it ever hurt on Wednesday. I had a massage Tuesday night and my RMT gave my arm a little stretch and my wrist cracked, as it always does, and all was good. First thing Wednesday it was fine, but them mid-morning it started to feel a bit jammed and was really “cracky” when I moved it. Eventually it started to hurt…A LOT. I should have maybe taken the night off from CrossFit, but I needed to meet my pull-up coach to get caught up on my program since I was away last week and missed our final session. Plus, the WOD looked really good and I wanted to get my workout in. My pull-up program was okay. My grip wasn’t the best and I only did about 2/3rds of each exercise to not push it too much and just get familiar with the movements. My wrist ached, but didn’t feel too bad. Then it was time for my regular 8:30 class. I knew it was not going to go well when I couldn’t do the push-ups in our warm up drill. The WOD had lots of grip and push movements, and I was pretty sure I wouldn’t be able to do it. Coach Jesse modified the WOD for me, so I at least got a good workout in without too much wrist stuff.
The DB bench press were the worst part of that, and hurt a bit just getting the DB up into position. By the end of it, my wrist was pretty sore and by the time I got home it was killing me. Getting out of a sweaty sports bra with only one hand was a challenge! I iced it and took some Ibuprofin and went to bed. It was a bit better when I woke up Thursday morning but still not quite right. Luckily I was scheduled for some acupuncture on my traps with my Naturopath Thursday afternoon, so i had her take a look at my wrist and she did some work on it too. She also put some Kin Tape on it for some additional support and pain relief.
It is still pretty sore today. Hopefully I can modify tonight’s WOD a bit…there are 150 push presses in it…not sure my wrist is up for that!
3. I’m sort of doing the Whole Life Challenge again. I did the challenge in the fall and the organizers had a few issues with some things, so they offered a free entry to the New Year’s challenge. I figured what the heck and joined again. I’m not being to strict with things this time. Really just sticking to my original plan for eating clean most of the time and limiting my treats. I’ve had a few extra lattes this week, but more or less I’m on track. I’m taking the hit for eating non-WLC approved things, but that’s fine. I’m just using it as a way to stay motivated and not fall off the wagon!
4. I’ve signed up for The Open! I lived to tell about last year’s open so figured why not torture myself again! I’m interested to see what the scaled versions of the workouts look like. That might be a better stream for me than the RX, but I guess time will tell. The first workout gets announced Thursday Feb 26. My gym is doing Friday Night Throwdowns again this year. This was a ton of fun last year and really made The Open a great community event last year. Hopefully this year will be even more fun!
5. I’m so happy it’s Friday!
I will be spending much of my weekend at a hockey arena. Nick has a tourney that is local-ish, so we will be driving to a few rinks in the area. Jacko has his usual game Saturday and practice Sunday. That doesn’t leave much time for anything else, but should be fun all the same.
Got anything excited planned?
Have you signed up for The Open?
Well, it seems I am not getting any better at posting regularly. :( Not sure I ever will. Random, infrequent posts seems to be the new normal around here. Oh well!
Here’s a quick Motivational Monday to kick off the week.
I’ve got a killer workout ahead of me tonight at CrossFit:
I have never done Angie before. On paper, it looks wicked. I’m pretty sure I will be doing Ring Rows in place of the pull-ups, and that even sounds killer! But, I will just tackle this beast one rep at a time and hope for the best.
Angie doesn’t scare me! (Well, maybe a little :))
Happy Monday, peeps! Here’s to a great week ahead.
Happy New Year!
I’ve been a very bad blogger. It’s been a month between posts! Horrible, I know, and I’m sorry. :( I will try to do better.
To get back into the swing of things, I’m going to keep this Motivational Monday short and sweet.
I’m recommitting to clean eating, avoiding crap, limiting myself to one chai latte a week, and working hard at CrossFit. I didn’t jump on the January 1 bandwagon, but I’m starting today.
Wish me luck!
How about you? Are you getting back on track today?
Today is the day! I’m off to Scottsdale, Arizona for my EWGA Cup golf weekend.
I’m traveling tonight with 2 other team members. We get to Scottsdale around 10pm local time. We’ve got a shuttle coming to get us to the condo (which is on the 9th green of the course!), and if our teammates who are already there know what is good for them, there will be a nice, cold Corona waiting for me!
I’m looking forward to playing a practice round tomorrow, hitting the driving range Saturday, and then competing Sunday and Monday. At some point in there I also hope to spend some time napping poolside!
The tournament organizers have a busy weekend lined up for us:
- registration Friday/Saturday
- rules meeting Saturday 5pm
- player reception Saturday night
- 10am Sunday – shotgun start first round matches (I start with 4 ball)
- Sunday – “Winder Wonderland Mixer” with entertainment by Shades of Grey. No idea who they are, but hopefully they will be good.
- 9am Monday – shotgun start second round matches (My singles match day)
- awards luncheon following matches
- Monday night – Casino night.
According to an update I got this morning from the girls who flew down yesterday, it’s a bit rainy today, but supposed to be nice starting tomorrow. Both weather apps I have on my phone concur:
I’m looking forward to a fun weekend of sun, golf, and a few laughs along the way. Can’t wait.
Now, just need the afternoon to fly by so I can get outta here!
Feel free to send positive golf vibes my way!
Tuesday is a day off for me. I used to spend my Tuesday wishing I was at the gym.
Now that my son plays hockey Tuesday nights, I don’t miss the gym as much. Instead I freeze my butt off at the Magna Centre and watch him play.
Tonight is extra busy as I have a massage at 5:45, a guy is coming to give us an estimate on some new kitchen cupboards at 7, and then the hockey game at 8:50.
Making the most of my rest day for sure!
How do you survive rest days?
Wohoo! Made it to another weekend :) I started this post on Friday, but didn’t quite finish. I got to #2 and picked up at #3 Saturday night. Here goes…
1. I have hit my reading goal for 2014! After staying up way too late reading every day this week, I hit my 24 book goal. I’m hoping I can keep on rolling through December and add a couple more titles to the list. Check out what I’ve read here https://mypursuitofhappinessandskinnyjeans.wordpress.com/books-read-in-2014/ and feel free to suggest some books I should add to my reading list.
2. I’m loving my new CrossFit kicks! Both the nano4s and my lifters ares awesome…and I seem to have started a new trend…the #footsie. Check out Reebok Canada’s instagram post:
3. The AirDyne is the devil! Friday’s WOD was snatch balance work and then squat snack or hang power snatch, depending on what your ability. I did the HPS since the snatch is not my best lift, so rather than push it with a squat snatch, I just worked on getting a solid lift from the hang. It felt good and I’m happy with my progress. After the snatch work, it was time for the MetCon…10 minutes on the AirDyne, 12 seconds max watts, 48 seconds recovery. Oh. My. God! It was hell. By the end of the 10 minutes I could barely pedal that bad boy for 12 seconds. My ass was killing me and I’m very afraid of how I’m going to feel walking tomorrow! I guess that’s why they call the AirDyne Satan’s Tricycle.
4. I need to get my golf stuff organized. I’m off to Arizona on Thursday! I can’t believe it’s only 5 days. I have not swung a club since September. I’m not even sure where all of my golf stuff is! Guess I better spend some time tomorrow getting my stuff together, figuring what I’m taking with me, and I should probably hit Golf Town and buy some golf balls! I’m nervous and excited to head south, out of this cold weather that has hit, and play a few rounds of golf.
5. I made the most delicious pasta dish for dinner tonight. French onion soup pasta from Katie at The Rose Record. Oh my god….so delicious. It seemed to take forever to caramelize the onions, but totally worth it. So awesome. Make this dish soon!
Okay…now it’s late and I’m off to bed. I have a date with the design team at Home Depot tomorrow morning at 10am to talk kitchens.
How’s your weekend going? Let’s hope tomorrow goes by nice and slow…
Another Monday! The weekends just never seem long enough, but I’m actually excited that today is Monday, because that means I get to go to CrossFit tonight….and I can try out my new shoes! The UPS man came by my office again today and look what he dropped off…
Aren’t they pretty! I can’t wait to put these bad boys to the test. Tonight’s WOD has a boatload of thrusters in it…both in the strength portion and in the MetCon when we will do Jackie (1000m row, 50 thrusters, 30 pull-ups). I hate thrusters with a passion. Not sure new shoes are enough to change that, but I’m willing to give it a try!
Everyone at the gym keeps telling me that these shoes will change my life. I sure hope so!
Do you have lifters…are they as good as everyone says they are?
Happy Monday. Let’s hope the week flies by :)