1. I have been a very bad blogger lately. By the time I get home from work, eat dinner, do a few things around the house, go to CrossFit, come home and shower, I have zero energy or motivation to write a blog post. Plus, I really haven’t had that much to say lately. My life is rather dull, I’m afraid!
2. I have also fallen so far behind in the Photo101 course. I was doing alright the first week, and then the wheels fell off. Ideally, you are to take a new photo each day that relates to the prompts. Well, by the time I get home from work, it’s dark…which makes it difficult to take decent pictures. I think I am going to cheat and this weekend look back through all the pics I’ve taken and see if I can find some that relate to the prompts we’ve been given that I have missed: connect, landmark, natural world, warmth, mystery, pop of colour, architecture, moment, swarm and landscape.
3. My hands are so sore! I wasn’t feeling the greatest on Monday (had a headache all day), so I cancelled my CrossFit class and switched to Tuesday night instead. Well, Tuesday’s workout was a tough one! Strength wasn’t too bad – ring rows (since I still can’t do an unassisted strict pull-up :() and GHD sit-ups. The MetCon is where things got fun:
I did the beginner lever, since it was going to add up to 60 pull-ups, which is more than I have ever done RX in a WOD (I did 45 once!). I also used a band on a rack for the push-ups, since 60 RX push-ups was unlikely. Things were going along well – if you define well as exhausting – until the last set of pull-ups when my hands ripped on rep 54. I ended up doing the last 6 reps as ring rows because my hands hurt so much. I can’t remember what my time was – I really need to get better and putting my workouts into my MyWOD app! I went home, took the loose skin off my tears and coated them with polysporin.
Wednesday night’s WOD had toes to bar in both the strength and metcon. We also did deadlifts in the strength work, and just holding the bar hurt my hands – not just the torn spots, but my calluses at the base of my fingers as well. In the end I asked for a substitute for the T2B in the metcon (which was 20-15-10-5 DB squat cleans, T2B, box jumps). I just couldn’t take the pain. Instead my coach game me candlesticks. I only learned after the WOD what they were…lying on my back on the floor, holding the rig, pike up legs and then reach them up the rig as high as you can get them…basically like this:
My hands are still sore and there are more pull-ups in today’s WOD…I think I will do the beginner ring rows again and try to let my hands heal.
To help prevent this from happening again, I ordered a pair of Natural Grip wraps. I have had my eye on them for a while, but finally broke down and ordered a pair. It will be the best $17 I ever spent if they work like they say they do. Natural Grips were recently featured on Shark Tank and they got a deal!!!
4. I got some new CrossFit kicks! Reebok has a Friend’s and Family 40% off sale last weekend and I picked up some new Nano 4s. Aren’t they pretty!
I also got some lifters…but they haven’t been shipped yet. Can’t wait for those to arrive!
5. It’s only 2 weeks until I go to Arizona for the EWGA Cup. I really should get out to a golf dome or simulator some time in the next little while. I will have been 3 months since I’ve played golf when the competition starts and that can’t lead to good things. Hopefully it will work out I can get out once here before I go and we have a practice round scheduled the Friday before the competition starts, so hopefully I will remember how to swing a club!
Got any big plans?