I know I say this every time we get to Friday…but thank God! I am so ready for the weekend!
And since it’s Friday, that means it’s time for …
1. I saw this on a blog I read (Jerome’s Kitchen) and thought it was funny.
2. I’m entering into the last week of the Whole Life Challenge. I am looking forward to the challenge being over. Not so much so I can eat things again – which will be nice – but mostly because I want to see how much progress I’ve made over the 8 week challenge period. The scale shows some progress and I’m into jeans I haven’t worn in quite a while, so I’m pretty sure I’ve lost some weight and inches. I’m curious about what the gym scale reads and what my measurements are next Saturday. I’m also very interested to see if my WOD score improves from the preliminary score I got on Day 1. I sure hope so!
For this last week of the challenge, our lifestyle challenge is “Intentional acts of kindness”. Kind of a “pay it forward” sort of thing. I’m looking forward to this one. I’ll have to hit Starbucks drive thru one day on my way to work and buy coffee for the car behind me.
3. Yesterday was my youngest son’s birthday. For the last 2 months, I think just about every day, he has told either my husband or me that he wants drums for his birthday. He would send random texts to us and remind us every day at bedtime that that’s what he wanted. Hubs and I were not thrilled with this idea. Drums are loud…and expensive. And what if we get them and he doesn’t play them? So, we did some investigation and found that a local music store had a special for October. If you book 6 lessons, they will give you a rental for FREE for those 6 weeks. This seemed like a fantastic option…so we bit the bullet. We kept it a total secret from Jackson.
Wednesday night, after dinner, hubs said casually that we needed to go out and asked Jack if he wanted to come. Jack asked where and we just said it didn’t matter, did he want to come or not. He decided he would come. Thank god, because I don’t know what we would have done if he said he didn’t want to come!
So, Jack drove with hubs and I took a separate car. Two reasons for that…we needed to bring a set of drums home and I was going to CrossFit for the 8:30 class and wasn’t sure how long it would take to get the drum paperwork done and loaded into the truck. During the whole drive, Jack kept asking hubs where we were going. Asking about different people’s places and if we were going there. Rory just kept saying nope. Finally they turned onto the street that the music store is on and Jack took this big gasp and his eyes got so wide! As soon as Rory put the car into park Jack took off towards the door…then stopped dead in his track and asked “is it even open?” We told him to check. Of course the store was open, and we went in. Then he stops dead again and says, “Wait, what are we doing here?” We laughed and finally spilled the beans that he was having his first drum lesson in 10 minutes. He couldn’t stop grinning! Then we told him that he got a set of drums to take home and use for the 6 weeks and the smile got even bigger! Here is is anxiously waiting for his teacher to come get him.
While Jack went into the drum room, we headed upstairs to take care of the rental paperwork and get the drums loaded into the truck. That took very little time, so we headed back downstairs to wait for the lesson to finish. There is a window in the drum room door, so I was able to snap a few shots of him during the lesson and grabbed a bit of video too.
After the lesson we all headed home and the drum kit assembly process began. We decided to put the kit up in his room since we were worried about them getting damaged if they were in the basement. There are a lot of hockey pucks flying around down there most days! I headed off to CrossFit and when I got home, Jacko showed me a little of what he could do. Not too bad for only 1 lesson!
Practicing his “AC DC Beat”!
Needless to say, he’s thrilled with his present. The deal is, if he practices every day, and wants to continue, we will get him more lessons, and either rent the drums again, or maybe think about buying him a set of his own. We’ll see how it goes. So far…he’s all in!
4. Did you know that before Jesse Pinkman sold crystal meth, he was pushing Pops!
5. I’m gonna Row, Row, Row my WOD later! There is just a BIT of rowing in today’s WOD.
I’m not a huge fan of rowing…I’ve got short legs, so rowing is tough for me. I’m sure by the end of it my legs will be like jello, and I will hardly be able to walk when I get off the rower. Should be fun!
If you CrossFit, got any tips on how to be an efficient rower?
Got any big plans for the weekend?